With the launch of the sims 4 legacy edition, many players have got frustrated due to the limitations that this ensues.
For one, this edition doesn’t support all the Sims 4 packs, but everyone can download it. Most gamers are also forced to install this edition, even when they don’t need it at all.
Some of them find it difficult to transfer their save files from one edition to another, while others want to switch back to the standard edition.
If you’re facing any of these problems, read on to find out the solutions to these issues.
What is the Sims 4 legacy edition?
Back on August 1, 2019, The Sims 4 Legacy edition was launched with Patch 1.58.63 for gamers who were playing The Sims 4 on unsupported systems.
These unsupported systems include 32-bit OS PC and non-Metal Mac OS. So, if you’ve got a 64-bit system, you’re safe to avoid downloading this version. If you have any of the unsupported systems and you want to continue playing The Sims 4 like you did before, consider buying a 64-bit OS PC.
This edition lets you access the following stuff packs, game packs, and expansion packs:-
- Realm of Magic
- Dine Out
- Outdoor Retreat
- Jungle Adventure
- Spa Day
- Cool Kitchen Stuff
- My First Pet Stuff
- Luxury Party Stuff
- Movie Hangout Stuff
- Fitness Stuff
- Moschino Stuff
- Spooky Stuff
- Backyard Stuff
- Toddler Stuff
- Perfect Patio Stuff
- Bowling Night Stuff
- Kids Room Stuff
- Laundry Day Stuff
- Romantic Garden Stuff
- Cats & Dogs
- Get to Work
- Island Living
- City Living
- Get Famous
- Get Together
Unfortunately, online features like social features, The Gallery, and game banners don’t work with the legacy edition. Also, you won’t be able to play future packs or even Discover University.
You can still gain access to your Library, though.
It’s only available for those who had been playing the game before the release of sims 4 legacy edition. This means that newbies can’t access this edition.
System requirements On PC
- Windows 7 (SP1), Windows 8 and later, Windows Vista (SP2), Windows XP (SP3).
- Minimum 2 GB RAM.
- Free space of minimum 9 GB, along with an extra 1 GB space for saved games and custom content.
- For installing the game, a DVD Rom drive.
- Video RAM of 128 MB or better.
- Compatible with DirectX 9.0, 10, and 11
System requirements On Mac Os
- Mac OS X 10.8 (Mountain Lion).
- Free space of at least 14 GB, along with extra 1 GB space for saved games and custom content.
- Minimum 4 GB RAM.
- At least 256 MB of Video RAM.
Is The Sims 4 Legacy Edition free?
The sims 4 legacy edition is available on Origin for free. It was launched as both The Sims 4 as well as The Sims 4 Deluxe Version’s free edition.
You just need to already own the sims 4 base game at present.
What version of sims 4 do I have?
To check which version of the game you’re playing right now, follow the methods given below.
The main menu:
As soon as you start the game, you’ll see the game version number at the bottom of the screen. It will look like: 1.xx.yy.zzzz
If you’re running the legacy edition on your PC, the ‘zzzz’ will be replaced by ‘1520’. If the Legacy Edition is on Mac OS, you’ll see ‘1620’ in the place of ‘zzzz’.
You can also see the version number of your game by using cheats.
- Press Ctrl+ Shift+ C to open the Cheat Console.
- In the cheats window, type ‘version’.
- Hit the ‘Enter’ key.
You might have to scroll up to check your game version number. On the screen, you can see the version appearing beside the word ‘BASE:’.
Check your files:
When you don’t have the game open, follow these steps to check the game version:-
- Go to Documents\ Electronicarts\ The Sims 4.
- Open the GameVersion.txt file. After patching, you need to update this file by starting the game once.
- Alternatively, go to programs(x86)\Origin_Games\The Sims 4\game\bin\default.ini
How to get sims 4 legacy edition
How to Check the Processor type
If you want to know whether you need to download the legacy edition or not, follow these steps:-
- Right-click ‘Computer’ on your desktop or on the Start menu.
- Select ‘Properties’ from the dropdown menu.
- Under ‘System’, you’ll see whether you’re running a 32-bit or 64-bit beside the words ‘System Type’.
You can also use free tools like whatsmyos to find out what OS you’re currently using.
How do I install Sims 4 legacy?
Supposing that you’re on a non-Metal Mac OS or a 32-bit OS PC, the game won’t be automatically updated to the legacy edition.
To manually download it, open The Sims 4. You’ll immediately get a message asking you to download the legacy edition.
But if you don’t own the base game already, follow these steps to install the legacy edition:-
- Buy The Sims 4, then download and install it.
- Go to Origin and search for The Sims 4 Legacy Edition.
- Click the ‘Add to Library’ button.
- Select ‘Download’.
- Once it’s downloaded, double-click the Origin icon on your desktop. But if you’re using Mac OS, you need to install the game from the Origin Client.
- Open ‘My Game Library’.
- Right-click on The Sims 4.
- Click ‘Play’.
How to find save files in sims 4 legacy edition
Once you download the legacy edition, your save files will be automatically transferred to this edition.
To find your save files, go to Documents\ Electronic Arts. There will be 2 folders_ The Sims 4 Legacy Edition and The Sims 4.
When you download the LE for the first time, the information will be the same in both of these folders.
How Do you Download Sims 4 legacy edition
How to uninstall sims 4 legacy edition
If you’re using a 32-bit OS PC, uninstalling the legacy edition won’t do much good.
This is because as soon as you reinstall the game, you’ll be forced to download this edition all over again. So you’ll have wasted your time for nothing.
However, if you’ve got a 64-bit system, and all the other required hardware are in place, you might still be receiving a message that asks you to download the LE.
In that case, uninstall the entire game and then download it without the legacy edition.
If that doesn’t work, do the following:-
- Go to Origin.
- Go to your game Library.
- Right-click the Sims 4 icon.
- Select the ‘Game Properties’ option.
- Next, click on the ‘Advanced Launch Options’ tab.
- From the dropdown menu, select ‘The Sims 4 64 Bit’.
- If you don’t see this option, right-click the game icon and click on ‘Repair’.
How to transfer save files to the Standard edition
If you’ve bought a 64-bit system, you can transfer your save files to the standard edition of the game by using these steps:-
- Go to Documents\ Electronic Arts.
- Copy ‘The Sims 4 Legacy Edition’ folder.
- On your new computer, open the same folder.
- Transfer the file to this folder.
- Rename the folder as ‘The Sims 4’.
- Install the game as you normally would.
The sims 4 legacy edition was released because future packs and versions of the game would require more advanced technology to run.
Even if they expand the content of future packs, these will be able to run efficiently only with greater processing power.
That’s why 64-bit systems are being favoured by the game developers, leaving the 32-bit ones behind.
For more such fun, try out the rags to riches challenge.