Launched back in 2009, League of Legends has a massive following all across the globe. But many users have reported in 2020 that they find league of legends not opening.
Sometimes, your game might not launch on your Windows 10 PC or other versions of Windows. Or, you might get several error messages telling you that LOL can’t be started.
To resolve this issue, we’ve listed below 12 techniques which can help you launch LOL on your PC.
League not opening
Usually, players are faced with any of these three scenarios in 2020:-
- When you double-click the LOL client for accessing the game, a small error pop-up appears on the screen, but the league of legends won’t start.
- Double-clicking LOL itself doesn’t do anything at all, i.e. nothing happens.
- LOL starts, but all that the users can see is a black screen on their monitor.
Why is the league client not opening?
When you find the league of legends client not opening, you might get too frustrated for words. Here are the possible reasons why you might be facing this problem:-
- The firewall might prevent the client from running smoothly.
- League of legends won’t load due to problems with its installation.
- There might be some issues with your internet connection, such as a slow connection.
- A client-server issue might be the cause behind lol not starting.
- The DNS settings might have been modified.
Fixes for when the league of legends won’t open 2020
Move the LOL folder:
Sometimes, moving your game’s core files to another folder does the trick. For this, follow these steps:-
- Right-click the game’s desktop shortcut icon.
- Click on ‘Properties’.
- Tap the ‘Open File Location’ button.
- Copy all the files from that folder and paste them in a new folder.
- On the desktop, create a shortcut of the LOL client.
- As an alternative method, go to the folder ‘C:\Users\YourName\Documents\League of Legends’. Then, copy all the files and folders from this main directory folder and paste them in another folder.
Update the game client:
If the LOL not opening issue persists due to corrupted .dll game files, you have to delete these files in the following way:-
- Visit the LOL installation folder.
- Open the ‘RADS’ folder, and from there, open the ‘Projects’ folder.
- Delete two folders_ ‘lol_patcher’ and ‘lol_launcher’.
- Return to the installation folder.
- Delete every ‘aps_ms_win…dll’ file.
- Inside the main game directory, double-click ‘lol_launcher’.
- Launching the game now will take longer than usual, as it will be downloading an update to its client. Wait till the entire process gets over.
Change the LOL client:
When you find the lol launcher not working in 2020, it’s time to make a few modifications in the game client:-
- In the Start Menu search bar on your PC, type ‘File Explorer’.
- Select the first result to open the application.
- Open the C: Drive by double-clicking it.
- Open the ‘Riot Games’ folder in the same way.
- Go to League of Legends folder> RADS folder.
- Right-click the ‘user.cfg’ file.
- Tap the ‘Open in Notepad’ option.
- Under the ‘LeagueClientOption’ section, convert the ‘Yes’ to ‘No’.
- Minimize the File Explorer to launch the LOL client.
- Return to this folder for deleting the ‘LeagueClient’ file.
- Double-click the ‘lol.launcher.exe’ file for launching the game.
Force LOL to update itself:
If you still find that the LOL is not opening, you need to force it to update itself:-
- Go to the game installation folder.
- Open the ‘RADS’ folder, and from there, open the ‘Projects’ folder.
- Delete the ‘lol launcher’ and the ‘air clients’ folders.
- Open the ‘Downloads’ folder and delete all its content.
- After going to the ‘Solutions’ directory, delete the ‘client’ folder.
- Restart the computer and launch LOL.
Start running LOL as an administrator
LOL might need advanced privileges to run, which is why you should run it as an administrator:-
- Visit the game’s installation folder.
- Right-click the ‘lol.launcher.exe’ file.
- From the dropdown menu, click on ‘Properties’.
- Select the ‘Compatibility’ tab.
- Check the box beside ‘Run as Administrator’.
- Tap ‘Apply’ and then click on ‘OK’.
If league of legends won’t open windows 10, fix it
Repair the game:
Corrupted or missing game files might be the cause behind the league of legends not starting issue. In that case, you should initiate a game repair by doing as follows:-
- Go to the installation folder of LOL.
- Run ‘lol.launcher.admin’.
- Tap the gear-shaped icon.
- Choose ‘Initialize Full Repair’.
- Wait till the game runs a verification of all the LOL files.
Update your graphics card drivers:
- Right-click anywhere on the desktop.
- Click on ‘AMD Radeon Settings’.
- At the bottom-right corner of the screen, you’ll see an ‘Updates’ option. Select this option.
- Select ‘Check for Updates’.
- You can see a new option if there are any new updates available. Select this option and click on ‘Update’.
- When the installer asks you to upgrade, click on ‘Yes’.
- Check every box in the installer and select ‘Install’. The new driver will now start being downloaded and installed automatically.
- Restart the PC.
- In the Windows 10 Cortana search bar, type ‘GeForce Experience’.
- Hit ‘Enter’.
- Select the first result for opening the application.
- After signing in, you’ll see a ‘Drivers’ option at the upper-left of the screen. Click on this option.
- Select ‘Check for Updates’ at the upper-right side. Wait till the application completes its check for the availability of new updates.
- If any updates are available, you’ll see a ‘Download’ button. Tap this button to start the download process.
- Once the download process is complete, you will get an option for ‘Custom’ or ‘Express’ installation. Select the option for ‘Express’ installation to install the driver automatically.
Close other active applications
Applications like Razer Synapse and Stream can affect your game’s launch process. To close these and other running applications, follow these steps:-
- Right-click the taskbar on your Windows 10 desktop.
- Click on the ‘Task Manager’ option.
- Select the ‘Startup’ tab.
- After selecting any application, tap the ‘Disable’ button.
- Do this for all the applications on the list.
- Restart your PC.
- Launch the game before opening any other application.
Replace the Projects folder:
The files that your game needs for launching itself properly are all contained in the ‘Projects’ folder. In case these files are corrupted, you have to replace this folder:-
- Go to the LOL installation folder.
- Open the folder named ‘RADS’.
- In this folder, right-click the ‘Projects’ folder.
- Select the ‘Cut’ option from the menu.
- Minimize the folders and right-click anywhere on your PC’s desktop.
- Choose ‘Paste’.
- Wait till all the files in this folder are moved in this way.
- Run the game. It will start downloading the missing files.
- While the download process is going on, move the ‘Projects’ folder into the ‘RADS’ folder, just like it was before.
- If you get a notification asking you whether you want to overwrite or not, select ‘Yes’.
- Once you have moved the entire folder, launch LOL all over again.
- The game will be launched automatically after the download process gets over.
Disable all active LOL processes
At times, a few processes keep running in the background. These might prevent the LOL client from running the game on your Windows 10 system. To disable these processes, follow these steps:-
- Open the Task Manager by pressing Ctrl+ Shift+ Esc.
- Click on the ‘Processes’ tab.
- Under the ‘Apps’ section, find the processes named ‘LoLClient.exe’ and ‘LoLLauncher.exe’.
- Right-click each of these processes.
- From the menu that appears, select the ‘End Task’ option.
- Launch LOL once again.
Reinstall the game
If none of the above methods have been able to solve the league of legends not launching issue, uninstall and reinstall LOL:-
- From the Start Menu, open the ‘Control Panel’.
- You can also press the ‘Windows’ key and ‘R’ together for opening the Run dialog box. Type ‘control panel’ in this box and hit ‘Enter.
- Change the Control Panel menu view by selecting ‘Category’ at the top-right corner of your screen.
- Under the ‘Program’ section, find the LOL game and right-click it.
- Tap the ‘Uninstall’ option.
- Restart the computer.
- Download the LOL installation file from the official game website.
- Follow the on-screen instructions for installing it on your Windows 10 system.
Launch LOL manually
If you’re trying to run the game via the desktop shortcut icon and the league of legends won’t open, try to access it via the primary executable file in the installation folder.
If that works, then the desktop shortcut is causing the problem, as it might be corrupted. So, delete this shortcut and create another one for your game on the desktop.
Now that you’ve read this post, you will be able to quickly resolve the issue of league of legends not opening in 2020.
Many things cause this problem, but following any of the techniques given above will help you fix it.