You might have come across hardcore gamers around the world who talk about how important it is to disable mouse acceleration.
This is because sometimes, you might find your mouse moving unusually. If this happens while you are gaming, you are dead.
In this way, pointer precision has become a hindrance to people’s gaming experience. Read on to find out how you can turn it off on different versions of Windows, Mac OS, and Ubuntu.
What is mouse acceleration?
Mouse acceleration or pointer precision is specifically a Windows feature. It helps determine how the mouse pointer will move, based on how fast you are moving the mouse.
For example, if you move your mouse really fast across the screen, the pointer can move even quicker. But if you move the mouse slowly, the pointer will move only as much as your mouse is shifted.
This means that more the speed of the mouse, greater is the distance that the pointer travels. The range of the pointer does not depend on the actual distance for which you moved the mouse.
Why do you need to turn off mouse acceleration?
This Windows feature is turned off by most pro gamers, because it is not really very accurate.
When you turn this feature off, you get an accurate aim in FPS games. And the aim is what matters the most in these types of games.
Disabling the feature also prevents you from thinking about your movements, so that you can repeat them, based on your instinct.
In other words, your brain can quickly get used to events when the Windows feature is disabled, than when it is not.
How to disable mouse acceleration windows 10
If you feel like turning off mouse acceleration windows 10, do as follows:-
- In the Windows 10 Cortana search box, type ‘Control Panel’.
- Hit the ‘Enter’ key.
- Once the Control Panel window opens, go to Hardware and Sound> Devices and Printers.
- From the list of the printers and devices that are connected to your computer, look for ‘USB Optical Mouse’.
- Right-click this option.
- From the dropdown menu, select the ‘Mouse settings’ option.
- A ‘Mouse Properties’ dialog box appears on the screen. Select the ‘Pointer Options’ tab.
- Under the ‘Motion’ heading, uncheck the ‘Enhance pointer precision’ box.
- Tap ‘Apply’.
- Click on ‘OK’.
As an alternative, follow these steps on Windows 10:-
- Click the ‘Windows’ icon on your desktop.
- Select the ‘Settings’ option that looks like a gear.
- Go to Devices> Mouse.
- Under ‘Related settings’, choose ‘Additional mouse options’.
- The ‘Mouse Properties’ dialog box will appear. The next steps will be the same as the last four steps given in the first method.
How to turn off mouse acceleration: Windows 8 and Windows 7
Want to learn how to turn off mouse acceleration windows 7? Follow the steps below:-
- Open the Start Menu, or click the ‘Windows’ key on your keyboard.
- Select ‘Control Panel’.
- In the ‘Search Control Panel’ bar at the top-right corner of the screen, type ‘mouse’.
- Click on the ‘Mouse’ option that appears right at the top. A ‘Mouse Properties’ dialog box will appear. You can also click on any of the other options under ‘Mouse’, like ‘Change mouse click settings’ or ‘Customize the mouse buttons’.
- Select the ‘Pointer Options’ tab.
- In the ‘Motion’ section, uncheck the box called ‘Enhance pointer precision’.
- Click on ‘Apply’, and then click ‘OK’.
Do the same when you need a pointer precision fix for Windows 8.
How to disable mouse acceleration mac OS
Turn off the Windows feature on Mac OS in the following way:-
- Open Spotlight by pressing ‘Command-Space’.
- In the search box, type ‘terminal’.
- Click on the first result to launch it.
- In the Terminal, type ‘defaults write .GlobalPreferences com.apple.mouse.scaling -1’.
- To run the command, hit ‘Enter’.
- Restart your Mac.
How to disable mouse acceleration in Ubuntu 19.10, 18.04 (Gnome), and 20.04
For a mouse acceleration fix on Ubuntu, do the following:-
- Use ‘sudo apt install gnome-tweaks’ for installing the Gnome Tweaks tool.
- Launch the Tweaks app.
- On the left side of the window, select ‘Keyboard & Mouse’.
- In the ‘Mouse’ section, click the down arrow beside ‘Acceleration Profile’.
- From the dropdown menu, select ‘Flat’.
It would be beneficial if you disable mouse acceleration on your computer as it helps develop your muscle memory.
Apart from that, if you are a pro gamer who is into FPS and other such stuff, turning off this feature of Windows ensures that you have a more accurate aim than before.
Better the aim, better the game!