“How much vram do I have?” This is a question that nearly every gamer or graphic designer asks on Google.
VRAM is used to store image data that your PC displays, which is why it is a lot faster than the standard RAM. If your computer has more VRAM, it can load better and more complex images at a higher speed.
Read on to learn how to find out the amount of video RAM your system uses, and how to check video memory windows 10.
What’s my vram?
Video RAM or VRAM is a type of RAM that’s used for computers in GPUs or Graphics Processing Units. Your computer’s graphics card is confined to performing the memory functions that are related to graphics and display.
Different amounts of VRAM are found on different graphics cards. The more the VRAM amount, the better display and graphics your computer will have.
This is why most people ask themselves, “How to tell how much vram I have?” Knowing the amount of video RAM your computer’s GPU has lets you know whether it can handle more of the desired display and graphics operations.
How to see How Much Vram you have
Check out below, how to find vram on Mac OS, on Linux, and different versions of Windows.
On Windows XP, you can follow the steps below for finding out the amount of video memory your computer holds:-
- Right-click on the desktop.
- Select ‘Properties’.
- Click the ‘Settings’ tab.
- Select the ‘Advanced settings’ button.
- Select the ‘Adapter’ tab.
- Under ‘Adapter Information’, you can see your GPU memory under the section titled ‘Memory Size’.
Windows 7, Windows 8, and Windows Vista
If you want to check vram usage on Windows Vista, Windows 7, and Windows 8, follow these steps:-
- From the Start Menu, open the Control Panel.
- Go to Appearance and Personalization> Adjust screen resolution.
- On the ‘Screen Resolution’ page, select ‘Advanced settings’.
- A dialog box will appear on the screen. Select the ‘Adapter’ tab.
- Under ‘Adapter Information’, you’ll see the Dedicated Video Memory and the Total Available Graphics Memory that’s available on your system.
You might be wondering, “How much vram do I have on Mac OS?” In that case, do the following:-
- At the top-left corner of your computer screen, click the Apple Menu.
- Select the ‘About This Mac’ option from the dropdown menu.
- Under the ‘Overview’ tab, you can see the amount of video memory on your system, right beside the ‘Graphics’ line.
The steps given below will show you how to check your video memory on Linux:-
- Run ‘lspci’ without any options.
- From the information about your PCI devices that’s listed, find out the ‘VGA Compatible controller’ line.
- Note down the number that is shown at the beginning of this line. It will look something like ‘00:03.0’. This number is your domain ID.
- Run ‘lspci’ again, but with the options ‘-v –s domain-id’. For example, if your domain ID is ’00:03.0’, run the command ‘-v –s 00:03.0’.
- This command shows you all the information about your system memory. Look for the ‘prefetchable memory’ to find your VRAM.
How to Check Vram windows 10
If you ever ask yourself, “How much video ram do I have windows 10?” then follow any of the methods stated below:-
- In the Windows 10 search bar, type ‘Display settings’.
- Click on ‘Display’ that appears under the ‘System’ section.
- At the bottom of the ‘Display’ page, select the ‘Display adapter properties’option.
- Click on the ‘Adapter’ tab. A window appears on the screen, showing information about your computer’s graphics card.
- Under the ‘Adapter Information’ section, check the ‘Dedicated Video Memory’ to see how much VRAM your PC’S graphics card has.
- Download the appropriate CPU-Z version for your PC hardware (32-bit or 64-bit).
- Install and run the downloaded CPU-Z.
- Wait until CPU-Z detects the graphics card of your PC.
- Once it does, go to the ‘Graphics’ tab. You will see the VRAM or ‘Dedicated Video Memory’.
The dxdiag tool:
- In the Windows 10 search bar, type ‘Run’.
- In the ‘Run’ box, type ‘dxdiag’.
- Click ‘OK’ or press ‘Enter’.
- You’ll get a prompt asking you whether you want to connect to the Internet or not. Click ‘Yes’.
- The ‘DirectX Diagnostic Tool’ box will appear on the screen. Tap ‘Display’. Check vram usage under ‘Display Memory’.
Whenever you face any problem regarding checking your computer’s video memory, use the techniques listed above.
After using these methods, you won’t be asking yourself, “How much vram do I have?” anymore!