Launched back in 2019, Apex Legends is a free battle game that’s available for PS4, Xbox One, and Windows. But what if you find apex legends crashing?
Per week, nearly 10 million gamers across the world actively play this game. So, you can imagine how popular it must be.
But if there is a problem with it, getting frustrated is obvious. That’s why we’ve listed some techniques below, which can help you resolve this issue.
Apex legends Keeps Crashing
Several gamers continue to report on online forums that their game experience involves a lot of freezing and crashing. Some of them also complain about an apex legends crash on drop.
A few players report that they can’t even run this game or join matches, while others say that it freezes during matches.
Why does apex legends keep crashing?
If your computer system, or even parts of it, doesn’t satisfy this game’s minimum prerequisites, the apex legends crash issue might come up.
Check if your system runs on old Intel processors. If it does, it is high time you upgraded your CPU. Otherwise, you’ll continue to face this problem. Your game might also freeze because of PC overheating. This is why you should monitor your computer’s health before running this game.
Apex legends game crashing: Fix no. 1
When you find apex legends crashing to desktop, follow these steps to fix it:-
- Go to Origin> Games Library.
- Right-click the picture of your game.
- Go to Game Properties> Advanced launch options.
- Under ‘Command line arguments’, type ‘refresh 60 -GameTime.MaxVariableFps 60’ if you’re using a 60hz monitor. For those who are using a 140hz monitor, type ‘refresh 140 -GameTime.MaxVariableFps140’.
- At the top-left corner of the screen, hover your mouse over ‘Origin’.
- Go to Application settings> More> Origin in-game.
- Make sure to turn off ‘Enable Origin in-game’.
Apex legends freezing? Try this fix
On your PC, when you find apex legends crashing, no error is shown at all!
So, how do you resolve this issue? Do as follows:-
- Open the game client of Apex Legends.
- At the bottom-right corner of the screen in this game, you’ll see a settings icon. Click on this icon.
- Select the ‘Video’ tab.
- Under ‘Display Mode’, find the ‘Borderless Window’ option.
- Keep switching V-sync options till you get the ‘Triple Buffered’ option.
- Set ‘50’ as your Adaptive Resolution FPS Target.
- Turn on the ‘Adaptive super-sampling’ option.
Apex legends pc crashing: Fix no. 2
When you see that your game is constantly crashing on your PC, try using this method for solving an r5apex.exe error, if any.
- In the search bar, look for the ‘Graphics settings’ page.
- Select the ‘Browse’ option.
- Go to Origin Games folder> Apex> Apex.
- Double-click ‘r5apex.exe’ so that the Graphics settings page gets an additional option for Apex Legends.
- Select ‘Options’.
- Select the ‘High Performance’ option for your computer’s graphics performance.
- Again, go to Origin Games folder> Apex> Apex.
- Right-click ‘r5apex.exe’.
- From the dropdown menu, click on ‘Properties’.
- Go to the ‘Compatibility’ section.
- Uncheck the box beside ‘Disable full-screen optimizations’.
- Check the box beside ‘Run this program as an administrator’.
How to stop apex legends from crashing on Windows 10
What do you do when apex keeps crashing on Windows 10? Try any of the methods given below.
- Be an administrator while running this game: To run some particular processes, your game would need certain advanced privileges. For this, follow the steps laid down under Fix no. 3 written above.
Turn off GameDVR
This feature, which lets you record your gameplay video, should be disabled, lest it affects your game’s performance.
- In the search bar, type ‘regedit’ for opening the Registry Editor.
- On the left pane, go to the ‘HKEY_CURRENT_USER\System\GameConfigStore’ key.
- After clicking on this key, find an entry called ‘GameDVR_ Enabled’.
- Right-click this entry.
- From the context menu, select ‘Modify’.
- Under the ‘Value Data’ section in the Edit window, set the value as ‘’.
- Click on ‘Apply’.
- Next, in the registry, go to ‘HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows’.
- On the navigation bar, right-click the ‘Windows’ key.
- Select ‘New>> Key’.
- Name this key as ‘GameDVR’.
- After opening this key, right-click on the window’s right side.
- Select ‘New>> DWORD (32-bit) Value’.
- Name this value entry as ‘AllowGameDVR’.
- Right-click this entry.
- Select ‘Modify’ from the context menu.
- Set the value as ‘’ under the ‘Value data’ section in the Edit window.
- Click on ‘Apply’.
- Restart your computer.
Verify your Game files
If your game has any corrupted or missing files, it might cause the problem of apex legends crashing. Verify your game files in the following way to check if this is the cause:-
- Sign in to your Origin account.
- On the left pane, there’s an option called ‘Game Library’. Select this option.
- Right-click on ‘Apex Legends’ in the Game Library.
- From the dropdown menu, choose ‘Repair Game’.
- The Origin client will then start verifying your game files.
- After the verification process is completed, the client will automatically replace any corrupt files and will start downloading missing files.
- Launch this game.
Disable full-screen optimization
To stop this game from running as a borderless window, turn off full-screen optimization in the following way:-
- Right-click the game’s shortcut icon.
- From the dropdown menu, click on ‘Open File Location’.
- Right-click ‘r5apex.exe’ in your game’s installation folder.
- Click on ‘Properties’.
- Go to the ‘Compatibility’ tab.
- Check the box beside ‘Disable full-screen optimizations’.
- Click on ‘Apply’.
Update graphics drivers
- Open the Run box by pressing the ‘Windows’ and ‘R’ keys together.
- Type ‘msconfig’.
- Click ‘OK’ to open the Systems Configuration.
- Select the ‘Boot’ tab.
- Go to Boot Options> Safe boot> OK.
- For applying these changes, restart your PC.
- Go to Taskbar> File Explorer> This PC> Local Disk C.
- In the Local Disk C, right-click the NVIDIA folder.
- Select the ‘Delete’ option.
- Open the Run dialog box once again.
- In the Run box, type ‘devmgmt.msc’.
- Click ‘OK’. The Device Manager window will appear.
- Under the ‘Display adapters’ section, right-click the NVIDIA adapter that you wish to uninstall.
- Click on the ‘Uninstall’ option, and then click ‘OK’.
- Open the Run box and type ‘msconfig’ again. Click ‘OK’.
- In the Systems Configuration, go to Boot tab> Boot Options.
- Uncheck the ‘Safe boot’ option and click ‘OK’.
- Restart your PC.
- Download the latest version of NVIDIA driver.
- During the installation process, check the ‘perform clean install’ option.
- Restart your computer.
Uninstall Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable Package
In case this package is corrupted, it’s better to uninstall and then reinstall it.
- Click on the ‘Windows’ icon on the desktop to open the Start Menu.
- To open ‘Settings’, click on the gear-shaped icon in the menu.
- Under ‘Settings’, select ‘Apps’. A list of all programs that are installed on your Windows 10 PC will appear.
- Find ‘Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable Package’ and click on it.
- Select the ‘Uninstall’ option.
- Follow the on-screen instructions given by the Uninstallation wizard.
- Once the uninstallation process is completed, click on ‘Finish’.
- If there are multiple versions of the C++ Package, uninstall all of them in the same way, one by one.
- Double-click the Origin icon to open it.
- On the left pane of the screen, tap ‘Game Library’.
- Tap the Apex Legends icon in the library.
- Next to the ‘Play’ button, you’ll see a gear-shaped icon. Right-click this Settings icon.
- From the context menu, select ‘Repair’.
- Wait till the process gets over.
How to fix apex legends crashing on PS4
Sometimes, games like this one keep crashing, even on PS4. In that case, try doing any of the following:-
- Ensure that you have the latest PS4 system software update installed.
- Go to this game’s settings and disable the option called ‘Convert Incoming Voice to Chat Text’.
- You must know that at the front of the PS4, there’s a power button. Keep pressing that button for 7 seconds, till you hear the system beeping twice. After a minute or so, turn it on and start the game.
- Reinstall this game after uninstalling it.
- Make sure that you have a valid game license. If you don’t have one, restore your game’s license.
Apex legends crash fix on Xbox One
At times, this game might face a random crash while you’re playing it on Xbox One. You can try resolving this issue by doing any of the following:-
- Perform a full power cycle on the Xbox One console. Press the Xbox button at the front of the console for at least 10 seconds, until the console powers down. Then, press the Xbox button again to turn it back on.
- Delete local saved data by going to My Games & Apps> Highlight Apex Legends> Start> Manage Game> Delete Saved Data.
- Go to Xbox Dashboard> Settings> All Settings> Network> Network Settings> Advanced Settings> Alternate MAC Address> Clear. Next, it’s time to restart the console.
- If any devices are attached to the USB slot, unplug those.
- Uninstall and reinstall your game.
When you find apex legends crashing, don’t panic! Try using any of the techniques stated above to resolve the issue.
Remember, before following these troubleshooting steps, you should restart your PC first. This will remove any corrupted data that might’ve been causing the problem temporarily.