Hundreds of people across the world use VLC Media Player as the default media player on their Windows computers. But some of them have reported an issue related to aacs decoding whenever they start playing Blu-ray in VLC.
The said issue occurs when you see the message: “this blu-ray disc needs a library for aacs decoding” on the screen. But why does this happen?
Read more to find out how you can solve this problem right now!
Errors while you play Blu-Ray in VLC
Here are some errors which people usually face when they try to play a Blu-ray disc in the VLC media player:-
- The AACS configuration file might be missing.
- This blu-ray disc needs a library for aacs decoding, and your system does not have it.
- It’s not possible to open your input.
- A valid processing key in your AACS configuration file couldn’t be found.
- The Blu-ray keeps loading for hours on end.
Possible reasons for the ‘this blu-ray disc needs a library for aacs decoding vlc’ issue
For playing the disc content, the media player requires certain library files.
If the player can’t find these files, you might face the problem where you see the message, “this blu-ray disc needs a library for bd+ decoding, and your system does not have it.”
The usual reasons for this error are as follows:-
- The Keys Database file might be missing:- If you have downloaded and installed the libaacs library, it will need the keydb.cfg file for operating properly. If this file is missing from your PC, the blue-ray playback might fail.
- Technologies like BD+ and AACS protect Blu-Ray disk:- Since this is usually the case at present, sometimes, you might not be able to playback these disks only with the help of the libbluray library. For this, the libaacs library needs to be installed as well.
How to get aacs decoding for vlc: Aacs decoding windows 10
For an aacs decoder on Windows 10, make sure that you’re not using an old version of VLC. To be exact, you need to upgrade the version of VLC on your PC to VLC 3.0.
Keep in mind that you have to check whether your Windows computer is a 64 bit PC or a 32 bit one. Once you do so, download the version that’s compatible with your PC version.
To get an aacs decoding library for vlc, follow the steps below:-
- Visit the link https://vlc-bluray.whoknowsmy.name
- Under the heading ‘Keys Database’, select ‘get the file’. The keydb.cfg file will start being downloaded.
- Move the downloaded file to C:\ProgramData\aacs.
- In the section titled ‘aacs dynamic library’, click on the link that’s compatible with your VLC version. For example, if your VLC version for Windows is 64 bit, select the link corresponding to this version.
- Once the download process for the libaacs.dll file is complete, copy the Keys Database file to your clipboard.
- Navigate using File Explorer.
- Open the ‘Run’ dialog box by pressing the ‘R’ and the ‘Windows’ keys at the same time.
- Type ‘%APPDATA%\’ in the Run box.
- Hit ‘Enter’ or click on ‘OK’. A hidden folder named ‘AppData’ will appear on the screen.
- Go to AppData> Roaming.
- Right-click on the screen and select New> Folder for creating a new folder.
- Name this folder ‘aacs’.
- Paste the keydb.cfg file inside this newly created folder.
- Go to your Downloads folder and right-click the libaacs.dll file.
- From the dropdown menu, select ‘Copy’.
- After going to VLC’s install location with the help of File Explorer, paste the file there itself. By default, you’ll find the file either by going to C:\Program Files (x86)\VideoLAN\VLC (32-bit) or C:\Program Files\VideoLAN\VLC (64 bit).
- Open VLC and the aacs blu ray to check if the issue is resolved.
Vlc aacs decoding windows 7
The process of downloading and installing the vlc library for aacs decoding on Windows 7 is exactly the same as for Windows 10.
Check the minimum requirements before proceeding to the download part. Check whether your PC is 64 bit, and if it is, download the latest version of VLC that’s compatible with a 64 bit computer.
Wrapping it up
Facing this problem is not uncommon, but it sure is frustrating.
To resolve this issue, all you need to do is let VLC decode AACS by adding a few aacs decoding library files to the media player.
For that, follow the steps one by one, as are mentioned above. Whether you’re facing this issue on your Windows 10 laptop or a Windows 7 computer, the same steps need to be followed in either case.